Knowing the signs of blocked drains is essential for all Gold Coast homeowners and property managers. Clogged drains can lead to slow-draining sinks and backed-up toilets, creating both inconvenient and potentially hazardous conditions.
At Local Plumbing & Gas Company, we understand that it’s important to recognise signs of blocked drains before they become more serious problems. In this article, we will discuss how to identify signs of blocked drains as well as DIY solutions and when professional help may be needed. So let’s get started!
Common Signs of Blocked Drains
If you’re experiencing signs of blocked drains in your Gold Coast home or business property, you should take action right away. Here are some of the signs that indicate you may have a plumbing problem on your hands:
Slow Draining Sink
One of the most common signs of blocked drains is a slow-draining sink. This can be caused by a build-up of food particles, oil, soap scum, hair, and other debris in the pipes. You may also notice signs of standing water or bubbling when you run the faucet. If this issue is not addressed immediately, it will eventually lead to a full clog.
Another sign of blocked drains is a backed-up toilet. This can be caused by an accumulation of waste, as well as foreign objects or too much toilet paper. If you’re experiencing a backed-up toilet, it’s important to take action quickly before the problem escalates.
A clogged sink is another sign of blocked drains that you’ll want to watch out for. This can be caused by an accumulation of food particles, oil, soap scum, hair and other debris in the pipes. You may also experience signs of standing water or bubbling when you run the faucet.
Other signs of blocked drains include gurgling noises coming from your pipes, a foul smell in your bathroom or kitchen, and water backing up into other fixtures in your home.
The Causes of Blocked Drains
At Local Plumbing & Gas Company, we know that blocked drains can be caused by a variety of different factors. Here are some of the most common causes of blocked drains:
- Foreign Objects: Foreign objects such as toys, jewellery, and other small items can cause blockages in your plumbing.
- Grease and Oil buildup: Grease and oil buildup in your sink or toilet pipes can cause clogs.
- Hair and Soap Scum: Hair, soap scum, and other debris can accumulate in your pipes over time and cause blockages.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can also grow into your plumbing pipes and cause blockages.
Identifying signs of blocked drains early on can help you take action before it’s too late. If you’re experiencing signs of blocked drains in your home or commercial property, contact Local Plumbing & Gas Company today for professional assistance. Plus, be sure to read our article, ‘Why Are Your Drains Blocked? Find Out the Causes’ for more information on how to avoid future drain blockages. Don’t wait until it’s too late; get your drains flowing again, and contact us today!
Prevention is always better than cure, and here at Local Plumbing & Gas Company, we believe in taking proactive measures to avoid signs of blocked drains.
Regular drain cleaning is one of the best ways to prevent blocked drains. By having your pipes and drains professionally cleaned, you can help keep your plumbing system running smoothly and avoid costly repairs or replacements in the future.
Also, it’s important to always properly dispose of waste in your sink or toilet. Avoid flushing anything down the drain other than human waste and toilet paper. Also, avoid using chemical drain cleaners, which can damage your pipes in the long run.
Regular drain cleaning, proper waste disposal, and avoiding chemical drain cleaners can help prevent blocked drains from occuring in your Gold Coast home or commercial property. Also, check out our article ‘Prevent Blocked Drains: Easy Maintenance Tips’ for more preventative measures to keep your drain free from clogging.
DIY Solutions for Blocked Drains
If signs of blocked drains do occur, there are some DIY solutions you can try before calling a professional. Here are a few DIY solutions for blocked drains to consider:
- A Plunger: A plunger is one of the most commonly used tools to clear pipes and sinks. Apply gentle pressure with the plunger and see if it can help unblock the drain. You can buy a plunger at Bunnings for under $4—a bargain!
- Boiling Water and Baking Soda: Mixing boiling water and baking soda is another effective DIY solution for blocked drains. Pour boiling water and half a cup of baking soda into your sink or toilet, then wait for 15 minutes before flushing with hot water again. Best of all, this DIY solution will cost you next to nothing.
- Drain Snake: A drain snake is a special tool that can reach and remove blockages from your pipes and drains. You can pick one up from Bunnings for as little as $21.00.
While these DIY solutions for blocked drains may be effective, remember that they may not always work, and the signs of blocked drains could persist. If signs of blocked drains persist after trying a DIY solution, we highly recommend you call us at 0487 175 645.
If you’re experiencing signs of blocked drains on the Gold Coast, contact Local Plumbing & Gas Company. With our experience, expertise, and state-of-the-art equipment, we can help restore your plumbing system and keep it running smoothly. We’re committed to providing quality services and a positive customer experience every time.
Contact us today and get your drains flowing again!